Day 7 at the OTC

Recap:

1. Breakfast
2. Packing
3. Push Championships
4. Hitch a ride to Albany
5. Fly home
6. SLEEP!!!

So, today was my last day at the OTC. This week went by very quickly, all things considered. It is somewhat strange coming back to real life. I'm sitting on my bed typing this, and it's kind of surreal. Living in the OTC is not like real life. There were no stresses of work or when I'll fit a workout in. Your sport is your life there. It was strange to come back and realize I'm going to have to dress up, carry a purse and wear make-up again tomorrow. I didn't really miss any of those things this last week. Anyhow, it was tough to leave so many new friends all at once, but I'm hoping we'll be reunited soon.

Today was the big day. Push Championships. It didn't turn out the way I'd planned, but I've had the whole day to gain the proper perspective. I ended up getting last place out of the rookie and veteran brakewomen. I was definitely disappointed by the outcome, so I was trying to find the positives in this situation. Thank you Mom for helping me see things from the right point of view. Most of these are direct quotes, and I give her full credit. I made a list of 10 positives to focus on:

1. I am 15th in the NATION as a brakemen for the women's team.
2. There may be women with more talent, but apparently they aren't willing to commit to the process.
3. I can commit to focused goals and achieve whatever I put my mind to. I was born to succeed, and I have made the choice to see this through.
4. I just spent a week at one of the United States most elite sports training facilities by invitation.
5. Most of the women on this team have been training at an Olympic training facility for years. I've gotten this far on my own.
6. I want to prove to myself that this is possible. There's only room for improvement from here.
7. There's a whole other level inside me just waiting to be tapped. Rowing taught me you can push yourself harder and farther than you ever thought possible. The same holds true for bobsled.
8. I am still loved and cherished by so many people no matter what the outcome may be. My value as a person is not based on my athletic successes or shortcomings.
9. I love to dream BIG! Now my I just have to continue to retrain my brain and body to catch up.
10. I still believe that all things are possible. I believe in myself. I won't give up because of one disappointment.

The right perspective makes all the difference. NEVER GIVE UP! Look at Roger Bannister. He ran thousands of laps around a track and didn't listen to any of the critics telling him running the 4 minute mile was not humanly possible. He trained his body and mind to accomplish the impossible. He never gave up. That's my motivational pep talk for the day. I needed to hear it, even if you didn't. I've decided to include one of my favorite sports movie motivational clips as well. This is from the movie Facing the Giants. I highly recommend it! It will bring out the VERY BEST in you!



So, back to Push Championships. Katie Eberling, a fellow rookie, won the whole thing. GO KATIE! I'm so proud that a fellow rookie took the title. Very impressive! She was already taking practice runs with the top drivers this afternoon. Adam Clark, another fellow rookie, did awesome too. He's been picked to push for USA 3 and 4 sleds this week. Way to go Rook! Overall, it was an amazing experience. I was around some of the best in the world today, and I'm ready to come back for more.

As I was gathering my stuff up and getting ready to head back to the OTC, Coach Hayes and Megan both told me they'd like me to come back in October if I'm free. I handed out my number, and I'm ready for a phone call. That's definitely good motivation to keep my training up knowing I have another shot. October 10th is opening day of the bobsled track. That gives me another month to train and improve. I've already given Katy and Aunt Kay instructions to keep me on track.

Once that was all taken care of, I got back to the OTC, showered, grabbed my gear, and hitched a ride back to Albany. Scott (who's last name I can't recall) is some big shot with the USOC. He was headed back to catch a flight as well, so I hopped in his truck and we left. We chatted for awhile and then I took a nap. We ended up getting to Albany and having both our flights delayed due to the storms. I was switched to another airline flying through Chicago so I could get home tonight. Thank you again to all my family for helping me see the positives and listening to all my long phone calls. And a big thank you to Mr. Ben Bain, who doesn't even know this blog exists, but his ridiculous text messages really brightened my day.

I got to Chicago, grabbed some dinner, got chased by a mouse, and got ready to board the plane. My ticket didn't have a boarding group number, so I just waited until the end of the second group to board. I figured that was a safe bet. I got up to the ticket agent and said something to the effect of, "My ticket doesn't have a boarding number. I'm sorry if I'm up here too soon. I can wait if it's not my turn yet." He'd already told several people to get back out of line and wait, and I didn't want to peeve him any further. He looked at my ticket, scanned it and said, "You're in first class madam. Enjoy your flight." My immediate thought was, "WHAT? There must be something wrong. Oh well, just roll with it." So I graciously took my ticket, said, "Thank you," and walked down the loading ramp, all the while thinking this just made my day. I sat down in seat 1F, feeling like a complete imposter, and lived the dream. People in first class are living the high life! Let me just list a few: padded head phones, a phone in the armrest, huge thrones to sit in, your drink comes in a glass (they entrust you with actual glass up there), you get a full meal (I enjoyed a chicken breast with mozzarella atop tortellini, sun-dried tomatoes and pine nuts. It was delicious!), metal cutlery, a blanket, reclining seats you don't feel guilty about reclining because you're taking the entire seat of the person behind you, your own private bathroom, the flight attendant referring to you as Ms. Vogt, and the knowledge that you are obviously a very important person. It was amazing, and I am ready to do it again anytime. This is one of favorite comedians, and I was thinking of this sketch the entire time.



I have to get to sleep now. The real world will be knocking on my door in a few hours, and I have to prepare myself to answer. Overall, the week was an amazing experience, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'll work on getting some pictures and video up soon.