Day 4 at the OTC

Recap:

1. Wake up early
2. Breakfast (oatmeal, scrambled eggs, and bacon cooked just the way I like it. Crispy and wonderful!)
3. Short push track session.
4. Shower
5. Lunch
6. Headed into town to the movies. Shanae (sorry if that's spelled wrong) has a car here, so she took Britt, Val, Katie and I to see The Help. Great movie, and highly recommended.
7. Chill and chat it up with the other rookies
8. Switch rooms. Val and I had to move downstairs to a three person room.
We've heard rumor that there is another rookie girl coming tonight, so maybe she will fill our third bed. That is yet to be seen.
9. Dinner
10. Watch Cool Runnings with other rookies
11. Team Meeting

The push track went really well this morning. We didn't do much to save our legs for tomorrow, but we've all improved leaps and bounds in just one day. It's pretty crazy how fast you can learn something totally new. I'm impressed with all of us and how we've progressed in 24 hours. Todd (the women's head coach if I hadn't already mentioned that the other day) is really great. He's encouraging and great at explaining what we're doing wrong (which is impressive since the guy coaches I've had in the past have not been great communicators and we have a lot that needs fixing). We're really enjoying this one on one learning time.

It's funny to me the huge differences between the men's and women's programs, or just the guys vs. girls mentality and persona. We are laughing, joking and generally having a great time, even out at the push track. We know when we have to be serious, but any other time we enjoy ourselves. The guys are serious from the moment they step out on the sidewalk to get in the van to the minute they get back. They are all standing in a line watching each other with straight faces when we roll up laughing and cracking jokes. I understand men are different than women when it comes to sports, and they do have more competition to make the team since there are so many of them, but I think you could smile once or twice (I'd even take a smirk). Just my opinion from the girl's side of the fence.

So, after we got back from chilling at the movies, everything started to unravel. Girls started to freak out about not passing the combine and guys are worried about not getting selected for a sled. It was out of control. I'm not a freak out person. I'm typically the calming influence, so that role wasn't new. I think we've talked everyone down off the ledge, but the night is still young. I choose not to worry about tomorrow, for it has enough worries of its own. I think the main instigator was that there is a major rainstorm about to move in tonight and possibly last through the day tomorrow. If the storms last all day, they've talked about postponing the combine until Tuesday. That puts all of us that have not yet passed in a tough situation. We'd have to re-book our flights, pay for another day to stay here, and then live in limbo another day. Then do we re-book the flight for Tuesday night or Sunday? It's a little overwhelming to think about all the possibilities, hence the freak outs. Hopefully, we'll be able to talk to Todd about it tonight at the team meeting and everything will sort itself out. I'd appreciate all your prayers for wisdom and speed. This is my verse for today:

Psalm 18: 30-34
30 As for God, his way is perfect:
   The LORD’s word is flawless;
   he shields all who take refuge in him.
31 For who is God besides the LORD?
   And who is the Rock except our God?
32 It is God who arms me with strength
   and keeps my way secure.
33 He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;
   he causes me to stand on the heights.
34 He trains my hands for battle;
   my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

I'm super fast and ridiculously strong! God will give me strength and give me peace. That's one thing I do know in all this craziness. Can't wait for tomorrow to compete against Olympians! No matter what happens, it's gonna be sweet!