Home Sweet Home

Packing up the crates
We're back in the States! I love America! It's great to be back at the OTC. I'm excited to see all the national team girls that went on tour in October. We got in pretty late, so I haven't seen anyone yet. I don't plan on unpacking anytime soon either. I have to admit I'm looking forward to April when I head back to Dallas and live in one place for more than a few weeks at a time. I haven't fully unpacked my bags for weeks. We'll have to move again in 2 weeks, so I'll live out of a suitcase for the rest of the season most likely. Oh, the wonderful nomadic life I lead! Wouldn't change a thing!

I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who has cheered me on these last few weeks. I love hearing all the stories of people yelling at their computers for Megan and I. (Yes, Julie, this definitely includes you. Katy recounted the whole story.) I still have to pinch myself when I realize I just got to compete in 2 World Cup races. So amazing! I'm so blessed to have these opportunity and get to share it with Megan. God definitely has exceeded all my expectations of this season. I wasn't even sure I'd make the team in October, and now I have 2 World Cup races on my resume.

Here are the press releases for both Whistler and Calgary from the USBSF:

Eighth place for women’s bobsledders Schaaf and Azevedo in Whistler | News | USA Bobsled & Skeleton Federation

Schaaf and Azevedo seventh in final World Cup race | News | USA Bobsled & Skeleton Federation

I have definitely become addicted to bobsledding in just a few short months. It's such an adrenaline rush and so different from any other sport I've ever competed in. My job right now is to get the sled moving as fast as possible for 6ish seconds and get in for two trips down the track. That's it. My part accounts for a total of about 12 seconds. Volleyball games can last for hours, and basketball games aren't really short either. Both sports have tournaments that can last an entire weekend with several games each day. Track is a little closer on the time frame, but as a thrower I never got this huge adrenaline rush. Rowing was definitely not short. 7 minutes was an eternity! Bobsled is all about speed, power and concentration for short periods of time. It's hard to believe athletes train for so many hours for that short window, but we do it every single day.

I'm definitely looking forward to these next two weeks. I don't compete again until the end of March for the last America's Cup races, and these next two weeks are the World Championships right here in Lake Placid. I haven't had a chance to see the national team compete this year, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing all the men's races. We normally leave right after our race to head to the next location. It will be fun to cheer them on! I'm also looking forward to cheering for all my new international friends who will be coming. The Australian and Korean men's teams will both be here, along with Canadian women. I've never been to a World Championships, and I'm assuming you haven't either. Allow me to enlighten you on the process. It is a 4 run race, like the Olympics, as compared to the typical 2 run races we've been in all season. To be proclaimed the World Champion, the team must thread together 4 flawless runs. These are spaced out over two days, so it essentially two race days back to back. I'm pretty sure the races will be streamed live on the same site they've been on.



You may be wondering, "What's the plan Stan? How does this all work?" If not, you should be. We're talking about the World Championships! So here's the schedule for the next few weeks:

Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday, Feb 14-16:
Official training days. Pilots must have qualify for the race by completing at least 2 trips down the track on all 4 runners. This shouldn't be a problem since this is World Championships, but you never know. This is Placid... I will hopefully be sliding this week with Megan or Katelyn. The coaches haven't announced yet who is forerunning the races, but I'm hoping to be a brakeman for one of those sleds. (Forerunning is when they send a few sleds down before the race to make sure the track is clear and safe for the athletes. We would be forerunning only for the women's races.)

Friday, Feb 17:
Women's Bobsled, Heat 1 @ 9:30am
Women's Bobsled, Heat 2 @ 11:00am
Bree, Elana & Jazmine will be piloting our USA women's sleds. The brakeman are not decided yet, as race offs are still taking place.

Saturday, Feb 18:
Men's 2-man Bobsled, Heat 1 @ 9:00am
Men's 2-man Bobsled, Heat 2 @ 11:00am
Women's Bobsled, Heat 3 @ 5:00pm
Women's Bobsled, Heat 4 @ 7:00pm
The evening will conclude with fireworks, the women's awards ceremony and a press conference.
Holcomb, Napier & ? will be piloting the men's sleds. Nick and Cory earned the team a third sled with the points they accumulated on America's Cup and World Cup this season. It has not yet been decided which pilot will be racing. They are always finishing right next to each other, so it will be exciting to see who earns the spot.

Sunday, Feb 19:
Men's 2-man Bobsled, Heat 3 @ 9:00am
Men's 2-man Bobsled, Heat 4 @ 11:00am
Team Event @ 1:30pm
This evening will also be followed by an awards ceremony and press conference. The men's awards ceremony is supposed to turn into an World Championship Celebration & Concert, according to the schedule. Better watch out! We're about ready to party it up in Lake Placid!

Another fun aspect of this week is the Team competition. One competitor from each discipline (men's skeleton, women's skeleton, 2-man bobsled & women's bobsled) is chosen to take one trip down the track. The combined time for all 4 disciplines is the team total. Each country can field one or two teams, and there is also typically an international team made up from a mix of countries. It's a fun atmosphere compared to the actual race day. Not as much pressure, and each member get's another free run on the track. Alternates often get the chance to don a uniform and get some time on the track.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Feb 20-22:
The next week brings official training for the 4-man bobsled and skeleton competitions.

Thursday, Feb 23:
Women's Skeleton, Heat 1 @ 9:40am
Women's Skeleton, Heat 2 @ 11:40am

Friday, Feb 24:
Women's Skeleton, Heat 3 @ 9:45am
Women's Skeleton, Heat 4 @ 11:45am
Women's skeleton awards ceremony and press conference
Men's Skeleton, Heat 1 @ 5:00pm
Men's Skeleton, Heat 2 @ 7:00pm

Saturday, Feb 25:
Men's 4-man Bobsled, Heat 1 @ 9:00am
Men's 4-man Bobsled, Heat 2 @ 11:00am
Men's Skeleton, Heat 3 @ 5:00pm
Men's Skeleton, Heat 4 @ 7:00pm
Again with the awards, press conference and fireworks. And again, Holcomb, Napier & ? will be piloting those 4-man teams.

Sunday, Feb 26:

Men's 4-man Bobsled, Heat 3 @ 9:20am
Men's 4-man Bobsled, Heat 4 @ 11:20am
More awards and press conferences. And wrap this whole championship up with another party. You will probably find me gettin jiggy with it at the athlete party. Not that I can dance, but it will be fun to see me try.

Monday, Feb 27:
Recovery! It will be a return to normal life after all the craziness of these next two weeks. And I believe it is the start of the driving school. We'll see how everything goes these next few weeks before I find out about all that. Like I said before this litany of activities, a very busy 2 weeks awaits me! I'll keep you posted. I'll also post some more pictures from the Whistler/Calgary trip soon.