Crazy Awesome!!!!

I found this picture of Facebook. (Yes Ben, I stole them from an unsuspecting bobsledder. Thanks!) Such an amazing shot of the Whistler Plaza with the mountains.

Wow! What an amazing experience this whole trip has been. I couldn't have dreamed of all this when I headed to Lake Placid in October. I didn't even know if I'd make the team. And this week I competed in my first World Cup race. Crazy awesome! I had a talk with Heath (Australian men's team driver) in the novice start house when we got here about how opportunistic this sport is. Just keep showing up and getting better everyday because you never know when a spot will open up that you're there to fill. If I hadn't committed to this whole process and worked hard to learn all I could this season, I wouldn't be on this trip competing with the best in the world. I know I have a very long way to go, but this chance to compete makes me want to train that much harder in the off season.

If you missed the action live, you can catch the replay online at:
http://eurovision.digotel.com/fibt/index.html

Click on the Women's Bob - Run 1 World Cup 7 Whistler to see our first run. We were the last sled off.
To see run 2, click on Women's Bob - Run 2 World Cup 7 Whistler. We were the second sled off and finished in 14th place. NOT LAST! We beat one sled. Granted it was because they crashed, but I just see it as us being rewarded for making it down on all 4 runners. That's not an easy task in Whistler. Paula Walker of Great Britain and Christina Hengster of Austria both went over in Curve 13. If you remember back to the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, that 12/13 Curve combination was named 50/50 because only half the sleds were making it through. The track crew has done a lot of work on it since then. They've taken out concrete and shaved the ice so the curve is now more like 70/30. I saw my fair share of sleds go over in the three weeks we were there, but definitely not half. Thank goodness!

Here's a picture play by play of our race. I took a ton of screen shots from the video replay.

Here we are right before our 1st run. We were 15th off.
Looking calm, cool & collected. Not nervous at all. Hahaha!
It's Go Time!
Dig, Dig, Dig!!!!
Off & Running
Can't believe how much I've improved from that first time I hit a sled. Still got lots to learn!
Run 1 coming down the start ramp
Run 1 into Curve 3
Run 1 into Curve 7
Run 1 coming out of Curve 13. Way to make it through 50/50 Megan!
Run 1 on Curve 16. We're almost across the finish line!

 
 
Getting ready for Run 2
Focus
Go USA!

Digging it out at the start!

Coach Hayes was happy with our run. Gotta love seeing your coach smile after a race!

We made it! It was really fun to see the boys holding up #1 for us as we came up the braking stretch. Our first World Cup race is in the books.

We ended up getting 14th. Got a little face time in the winner's box before the next sled came down. Such an amazing experience!


We even had fireworks to top off the whole experience. So that was our first World Cup race. So amazing and so fun! It was nerve racking for sure, but I enjoyed every second of it. I'm so proud of Megan for taking on this track like a champ. She's only been driving since the end of last season, and she conquered the toughest track in the world. She inspires me to take on driving everyday. I'm planning on attending driving school for two weeks in March, and I'm looking forward to it with great anticipation. 

I'll post more about the trip in a few days with more random pictures. I figured the race was the most important thing right now, so there you go. We're in Calgary now practicing for another race on Friday. I'm not sure if I get to race with Megan again, but I'll let you know how this week goes. Hopefully I'll have another chance to wear USA and compete!