I am now a bobsledder!

Recap of the last few days:

Thursday - Opening day. The track was really frosty, which is not a good thing. Apparently you do not want frost because it makes the runners stick. Everyone made two trips down the track, and most sleds made it all the way to the finish line. A couple sleds got stuck through the last turn and had to push the rest of the way up to the finish line. I didn't get to slide, so I was sled-dogging all night. Here's a shot of all the sleds up at Start 1. I had to help keep all these sleds lined up and moved down towards the start. As each sled goes down the track, you move the whole row down. I have a nice big bruise on my leg from moving all those sleds through for two runs. Like I've said before, if there's one thing I've discovered about the sport of bobsledding, it's all about the manual labor. You have to be in shape just to move your equipment. It's kind of crazy learning the ropes for a new sport with such expensive equipment around all these professionals. I'm learning a lot very quickly.


Friday - No sliding because of all the rain and warm weather. The track was closed for the day. Sineaid and I did a med ball workout in the gym. (If you're wondering how in the world to pronounce her name, it's just like Sineaid O'Connor.) That was pretty much the highlight of the day. The cold tub is still mighty cold!

Saturday - We woke up to blue skies and chilly winds. A cold front moved through and we dropped down to 55 degree highs. Great sliding weather. Sineaid and I went to breakfast, started warming up at 8:30, did a short sprint workout, some more med ball exercises, then got our lift on. We finished lifting around 11:00. We don't really have a workout program right now, so we're following the workout Megan (our driver) is on. The strength and conditioning coach is coming back tomorrow, so we're hoping he can write a program for us this week. It was a great morning workout!

We rested the rest of the afternoon. I took a nap and watched some cooking shows with my roomies. Sineaid and I are planning on opening a bakery together now. French pastries. Yum! We headed to the track at 5. Ida was set to slide with Megan, but I was up for the 3rd run if she decided to take it. A typical training day at the track for bobsled is each driver taking two runs with their planned brakeman. If the driver wants to take a third run, the extra girls not scheduled to slide have the chance to brake for them. Megan is still a new driver. She went to driving school last spring, but that is all her driving experience. Since the ice was faster then opening day, she was down at Start 3. This is located a little ways down the track at Curve 4 of 20. Beginner pilots start there and work their way up to Start 1. She drove like a pro and made it across the finish line all three runs, so she may get to move up to the big kids start tomorrow. We shall see.

Anyhow, we got to the track at 5. Sineaid, Ida, and I helped Megan prep her sled. We pulled the sled out, flipped it over, checked all the nuts and bolts, sanded the runners a little, flipped it back over, put it in the scabbards and loaded it on the truck. (I hope I can record all this some day soon because it really is hard to understand all that goes into a minute long run in this sport is without seeing it.) Sineaid and I helped Megan and Ida get prepped and ready to go. I was rainy, windy and chilly all evening. Great for sliding, but not fun to just stand out in.

Megan decided to take a third run, so I took my first run down the track! I'm now officially a bobsledder! So excited. I had my very first ride last February. Check out FLY BY to read all about it. It was crazy. I had no padding (Hence this picture of my very bruised elbows. Ouch! The picture really doesn't do these bruises justice), no real instruction, no handles in the sled, no mouth guard and a helmet that didn't really fit. I have to admit that I didn't enjoy it very much (aka at all). In fact, I was never more glad for something to be over in my life. I, of course, faked it once I hopped out of the sled, but that ride down wasn't fun. So, I was expecting the same experience on this trip down, but I'm glad to say it was nothing like my first trip down. I kind of knew what to expect this time, so that helped as well. This trip down I had lots of padding and gear that actually fit (padded football pants, knee pads, elbow pads, shoulder pads, a helmet that fits, bob spikes, and a mouth guard). Megan takes care of her brakeman, and I really like that about her. We made it to the bottom, I pulled the brake, hopped out, and we pulled the sled off the track. Nothing to it. We loaded the sled on the truck, took it down to the sled shed, flipped it, took the runners off, flipped it, and pushed the Superman sled into it's cubbie. What a night!

Britt got a chance to push for Elana Meyers and had an awesome start time. She beat an Olympian off the blocks! She was pumped, and we were excited for her. Sineaid and I didn't see her until we got back to the room, and it was decided to head to a restaurant in town to celebrate our momentous night of sliding. Sineaid, Britt, Katy, Adam Clark, Dak, Jeremy, and I hit up the Dancing Bear for burgers. It was pretty good. I got to see the Texas Rangers win the ALCS and my K-State Wildcats up their football record to 6-0. It was a great night all around.

Sunday - I slept in, went to breakfast, took a shower, and watched church online. Gotta love technology! I was able to tune into Covenant Church and watch the service I normally attend every Sunday. If you're ever in Carrollton, TX, be sure to stop by and check it out. Thanks Pastor Stephen and the media department for starting CovLive! I already miss it, and I've only been gone a week! After that, I headed to lunch, went to the theater and saw Footloose with the girls, danced down main street, ate dinner, did a little work, and right now, I'm writing this blog.



So, that's been my life the last few days. I really feel like I'm back at K-State. I'm living in a tiny town, in a dorm, working out a lot, eating in a cafeteria, and hanging out with lots of new friends. I'm loving that I don't have all that homework though! It's still crazy to walk down the hall and see people working on skeleton sleds, sanding runners or working on their skis. Olympians talk to me everyday. This place is just amazing! One of the rookie guys said it best,
Today I woke up an athlete. I worked all day to be a better athlete. And I went to sleep an athlete.
 That's how we roll at the OTC!