First workout at the OTC

So, here's the deal. I wrote this post yesterday and saved it before I headed to dinner. When I came back to finish, it wouldn't load. I was crushed. Then today, it magically opened, so here it is. Think back to yesterday, my first full day at the OTC, October 11th, 2011...

I worked out with Olympians today! So awesome! Olympic gold medalist Steve Holcomb, bronze medalist Elana Meyers, and all the other bobsled girls (including the newest rookies Britt Reinbolt, Sineaid Corley, Ida Bernstein and myself) had a great workout this morning. It was a recovery day for them, so we joined in on their tempo workout. This consisted of a warm-up, hip mobility with hurdles, and then abs with running intermixed. It was a great starter workout for up to join in after a traveling day.


I don't think I updated everyone on the bobsled track status, so here it is.
Status: The track is not yet open.
The weather here has been so warm, the track isn't open until Wednesday or possibly Thursday. As crazy as this is, the weather when I landed in Albany yesterday was warmer than Texas. What?!? I'd been preparing myself to leave Texas to come to the cold, and I came out of the airport sweating. I've been kind of sad lately about my weather woes. After one of the hottest summers on record in all of the US, Texas weather has been beautiful the last week or so. Fall finally arrived. I was sad to leave now that it is not blistering hot to come out to the New York area with all its blizzards and snow. Then I get here, and I need shorts and sunblock. This heat wave has kept the track from opening. The track managers have had the refrigeration running and ice forming since October 3rd, but it's just not hard enough to slide on yet. Here's a video of the Lake Placid track.



That's left us with some free time to hang out and have a little fun today. It's great catching up with "old" friends and making new ones. Almost every rookie here has joined Twitter in the last few days. We talked three more people into joining today. It's the new thing for the bobsled team. You can follow me at twitter.com/vogtfornic. I'll let you know all about my first trip down the track whenever that happens. Could be Thursday, could be later. Who knows.

I'll wrap this up on a high note. I bought my ticket to Salt Lake City today! On October 29th, I will depart with fellow teammates Britt Reinbolt, Sineaid Corley, Megan Hill, and Katelyn Kelly to compete on the America's Cup tour. So pumped! I'll give you all more details as I find them out, but I'm going! This means I really need your support. I can't do this whole tour financially on my own, so if you could donate or pass this blog on to other people or companies who you feel would help me accomplish my dream, I would be deeply grateful. I just added a donate button on the top of this blog that will go directly to me. I'd really appreciate it!

So, that was yesterday. Today was a little different. We got to go out to the push track this afternoon. We got a few pushes in individually and then I got to push with Katelyn a few times. Todd (the women's coach) said we're looking pretty good. That was encouraging. The highlight of my day was the unveiling of the Sineaid's new speed suit. She ordered an official CCCP speed suit as seen in the movie Cool Runnings. It came with the certificate and everything. It is legit. She had the unveiling of the super suit at our push track session. Amazing! She took it off for the bulk of our workout, but put it back on at the end. On her last push, she did fine going down the hill. When she was trying to get out of the sled, she accidentally kicked her driver, bounced her foot on the sled, got both feet out, did a black ops tuck and roll that ended in the standing position, and hopped back on the sled to push it up the hill. It was awesome. I'll put up a picture of this awesome suit when I get one. Highlight of my day. Then we got a short lift in and headed to the cold tub. It's so crazy to just hop in the cold tub with Olympians. That's right. With Olympians! It still is somewhat surreal to think I'm living in an Olympic Training Center. I also found out Megan will take me to Calgary with her team, even if Katelyn doesn't end up going to Calgary. So exciting! Now I really need some financial support. Accepting any and all help you can send my way.

Anyhow, that's what's up for now. I'll post again after I finally get down the ice. This is a picture of Britt with our fourth roommate Jay Barrs, 1988 Olympic Gold Medalist in Archery. This is a great snapshot my life currently. He is framed in our room. Please don't let me ever take this ridiculous of a picture to be forever immortalized in an Olympic venue.