No Longer a Rookie

I'm back in Lake Placid at the Olympic Training Center. It feels a little strange to be back, but now that I've been here a week, it's starting to feel like my second home again. I still have to pinch myself to believe I am here getting ready for my second season with the bobsled team. Such a privilege! I'll admit I was nervous coming back to train with the girls that have been here this summer. I've been working hard, but I wasn't sure how this week would go. I came out to get in some push training before the upcoming push championships. Here's some proof of my hours in the gym this summer. That's John in the background lecturing me on form while I'm just trying to stay on the ball doing one of his crazy ab workouts.



I arrived in Lake Placid on Sunday and had my first push track session Monday. It was great to be pushing a sled again, and it went better than I anticipated. I guess I expected to feel just like last year, when I came in knowing absolutely nothing. I retained a lot more than I thought I would. Just like riding a bike I guess. I still have a lot to work on, but the basics were all there. Loved pushing with Miss Megan Hill again. I've missed my bobsled girls! It's so great to be back and feel like part of the team. And I'm loving being in the mountains again.


Wednesday I power cleaned my new personal best of 87.5kg (192.5lbs) and had push track session number 2. Perfect push Wednesdays, as Coach Hayes has deemed them, are technique days. We work more on form that power. I learned how to push from the drivers position. Crazy! You have to run downhill, full speed and jump over the side of the sled. I'm so used to just springing in the back, I was super nervous. I made it into the sled every time and only smashed my knees into the cowling twice. I'd consider the day a success! Here's a video of 2 of my fellow America's Cup bobsledders from last season training at the Park City push track this summer. Jay is the driver on the right side of the screen. It doesn't look so difficult watching it now, but it's kind of terrifying when you're the person doing it.



Friday I pushed as both a brakeman and driver, and my times continued to improve with each push. At the beginning of the workout we had the bobsled turned around and had to push it uphill. Heavy. Then we had to push it up the hill with our coach, Todd Hollywood Hayes, riding on it. Here's a video of him boxing in Japan. As you can see, he's not a small individual. It was a tough, but when he hopped off, the sled shot out like a rocket. It was crazy how much faster we could push uphill when you lose that much extra weight.



Overall, I would deem this week a success. I've learned lots and feel like I've prepared well for this season. I really like being back around other athletes so I don't feel like such a freak show. Around here I'm normal sized and don't feel like the Incredible Hulk next to other females. They all eat as much as I do and spend the same amount of time in the gym and workout clothes. Feels good to be home! It was also amazing to see a bunch of my friends from last season. Adam, Dak, Greg, Britt, Meg, Katelyn, the list goes on. Once you live with people for 6 months of your life, we become a pretty close bunch. And I've made lots of new friends already too. The biodome encourages you to meet new people since we all live/work/train in the same building and typically only leave to go to practice together.

So here's how the next few weeks will go:
Sept 23: Back in Dallas for another few days at AOS Engineering before I leave for the season.  Mom and I are driving to Lake Placid. Should be quite a road trip! Get excited for the stories of our epic adventure. We are planning leave Kansas Friday morning and arrive in Lake Placid Sunday. It's 30 hours from Dallas, so I'm glad we have a few days to make it here.
Sept 30: Tuesday is the yearly combine for everyone on the team, and Friday is push championships for drivers and brakeman. Big week! We're supposed to have close to 20 women competing, and there a ton of new bobsled guys as well. Competition will be tough. (Check out my Olympic Withdrawals post to see my combine video from earlier this summer and a video about bobsled push technique.)
Oct 7: Depending on the weather, the track may open this week, although the first scheduled ice time is Oct 15. We shall see. If we don't have ice, the coaches begin to pair drivers with brakeman at the push track all week.
Also, Aunt Kay is getting married on 10/11/12! So exciting!!! I'm flying back to Dallas on Wednesday for the wedding and party. Can't wait! I will fly back to Lake Placid Oct 14.
Oct 14: First week on the ice. Team trials is the yearly competition within the US to select the national team at the beginning of each season. All brakeman/driver combos are chosen by the drivers for trials, so I have no idea what the week will hold. The drivers only get a few runs to remember everything, and then the team is selected. Pretty intense! I'll keep you posted.
Oct 21: The second week on the ice is 4 man team trials and another race night for women. This second week doesn't decide the sled ranking for women, that's already done, but it's another night for different combinations of brakeman and drivers to prove themselves worthy of a spot on the national team.

That's about as far into the future as I have planned for now. Don't know what team I'll make or if I'm driving or braking or both this season. I'm up for anything that gets me on the team. This sport definitely keeps you on your toes and has helped me to grow in faith and trust. I'm excited for everything this season holds, whatever that may be. I'll try to write more often, especially now that there's something to write about. This non-rookie is signing off.