I Believe

Irv: Derice, a gold medal is a wonderful thing. But if you're not enough without one, you'll never be enough *with* one.
Derice: Hey coach, how will I know if I'm enough?
Irv: When you cross that finish line tomorrow, you'll know.

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for your overwhelming support. I was genuinely shocked at the number of people who made it all the way through that last post. I do have lots of people who love me apparently (not that I doubted any of you). Thank you for all the encouraging emails and notes. I really appreciate it! I'd also love to keep hearing from all of you. I know I'll need it once the glamour of this trip wears off and training gets tougher. I am visiting a training facility this afternoon. I'll keep you all posted.

So, what's the plan Stan? This may change as time goes by, but for now, I'm going to post a new video or picture every Sunday along with any updates on my training. I know today is not Sunday, but Labor Day weekend threw me off. This is a shout out to my family in Fairview who made this a great weekend! Thanks from me and Katy! Who knew we could cram so much in a weekend in little, tiny Fairview?

So, here's my video for the week. This is from the recent 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics. Nikki Yanofsky sang this song, "I Believe," in the opening ceremonies. I'm about to cry right now just watching the video, and I've seen it about 10 times already. The Olympics are just so awesome. It's just amazing to me the impact one person can have on an entire country. The power that a player or team has to uplift the world, just by doing what they do everyday. They don't even have to win to inspire change in thousands of people.



This song is on my training playlist on my iPod, along with lots of others I'll share. I'm so glad that although all this work and training is on my own, I have so many people supporting me along the way.
Sometimes when I feel I've had enough
And I feel like giving up
You willed me to be all I can be
Now nothing can stop me
I can totally relate to that little girl who yells, "There's the Olympic torch!" I was totally that kid growing up and am even now. I would react the same way if I was there today.
This is the moment we have dreamed of all our lives
We'll be the change we wish from others
We'll stand tall for what is right
And in my heart there'll be no doubt
The arms of the world will come reaching out
And embrace me to be all I can be
I also love seeing the Olympians reactions. To see the pure joy and excitement on their faces makes me want to go work out right now. I've experienced that joy on a smaller scale, and it's priceless. You've worked hard for hours, days, months, and years for something, and it finally pays off. It's pure bliss when your dreams come true and all that hard work comes to fruition.
I believe in the power that comes
From a world brought together as one
I believe together we'll fly
I believe in the power of you and I