Keep Smiling

Let your passion be the reason for your existence, and your successes the product of your persistence. - Anonymous

What a season this has been! I've been traveling and competing for the past 4 months since my post in October. I spent a few more weeks in Canada competing in Whistler and Calgary on the North American Cup tour before Thanksgiving. Whistler was a rough start to the season with a crash in my first race, finishing 11th and 6th, but we rebounded in Calgary with double 4th place finishes. It's so strange to think I spend about 4-12 weeks a year in another country, but it's true. Bobsled has brought me around the world and I've enjoyed all the adventures this year. Living in vacation home rentals packed with females was crazy. We had Kristi and myself as the pilots and 7 breakwomen all under one roof. We were a bobsled sorority for a few weeks.

Keep Smiling! (Especially in beautiful Whistler)

Kristi & I had a great time in Calgary racing with 2 rookies Lake & Nicole.

We then ventured to Utah for a month before Christmas. This was by far the most memorable part of my season. Several World Cup competitors from Canada and the US dropped down to race on the NAC circuit so that they would have buffer point races in case of a crash or poor finish in a World Cup race. (You can race in more than 8 races a season, but only the top 8 finishes count toward your cumulative total. Your total points are what the selection committee uses to determine who goes to the Olympics.) The normal NAC field had 4 additional World Cup women's teams added to the mix. I took 2nd place in race 5, finishing behind our USA-1 pilot. Winning race 6 ahead of USA-2 & USA-3 and Canada-2 & Canada-3 was a huge mental victory for me. It really affirmed that I have what it takes to be a World Cup pilot; I just need to finish high enough in our team trials to have the opportunity to compete at the highest level of our sport. It's tough when we have such a deep field of very talented female pilots in the US. I've finished as USA-4 the past 2 years, but next year is full of opportunity. You never know what will happen.

So proud to take home the gold! Momo and I have both been fighting for a long time to be on top the podium.

I was able to spend some time with my family over the break making lots of great memories. Love ya'll! That brings us up to 2018, and I was in Lake Placid all of January. I wrapped up my last competitions on the North America's Cup circuit on January 12 with a win on home ice for race 7 and 4th place in race 8. Based on my cumulative points from the 8 races this season, I finished as the 2nd overall ranked women's pilot on the NAC circuit, finishing just 2 points behind the Korean women who will be competing in the Olympics. Huge thanks to the 7 different brakewomen who raced with me this year and made all of it possible! I couldn't do it without them.

Fun night seeing the Enchant Christmas lights with my mom & family

On January 15, the IBSF (International Bobsleigh & Skeleton Federation) determined how many sleds would attend the Olympics based on the points they'd accumulated and Olympic criteria. Only 20 women's sleds will compete at the Olympics. The USA women's team ended up only qualifying 2 sleds, as Canada just edged us out by a few points to earn a third spot. I finished my season as USA-4, so I will not be attending the Olympics in Korea this year.

Fellow driver Kristi with our brakeman Nicole & Kyle


It's tough when you've dedicated so much time and energy and life to something, and the end result isn't what you've planned. I feel sort of like a deflated helium balloon that was so buoyant at the beginning of the season and has sunk a little closer to the floor after each race. After awhile you see it half inflated, lying on the floor. After team trials, I was sad that I wasn't on World Cup, but there was still hope. Every race, that glimmer of hope became a little smaller, sinking my balloon a little further down. Coming into the last 2 races, I knew the only way I could go was if someone ahead of me got injured and I needed to step in. I was such a slow letdown that I wasn't very emotional when they named the Olympic team without my name on the list. I had known it wouldn't be for weeks.

All that being said, I'm so proud of the way I competed this season. The start was rough, but I finished strong. Each week I became more consistent and improved, which was my goal this year. I learned more about bobsled, racing, runner selection, conducting comparisons and race-offs, and managing a team. I learned about myself and what I could handle mentally, physically and spiritually. It's been a successful season despite not achieving my goal of making the Olympic team. I am still passionate about bobsled and making those dreams a reality.

Patience is not simply the ability to wait, it's how we behave while we're waiting. - Joyce Meyers

Several of my teammates have motivated me recently, telling me that my persistent, joyful presence has inspired and encouraged them. "I know this season didn't go as you planned, but you just keep smiling. You don't give up." Moments like that put my efforts into perspective. No matter how the season went, I love this sport and representing my country. I gave it all I had. This year, more than ever, bobsled has taught me persistence, patience, and a positive attitude are vital to success. I would be remiss to not give huge thanks to every person who has helped me to this point in my Olympic pursuit. As an amateur athlete, I rely on my sponsors and donors to help me  with everything from buying groceries to traveling around the world. My family has been there for me throughout this journey. Your love, encouragement, prayers and donations have made this journey possible. I love ya'll! Thank you AOS Engineering for being the most amazing employer and the best cheerleaders! Your flexibility and support allow me to continue competing and work as an engineer. Thank you Texas Air Systems for your annual support! Your continued sponsorship and encouragement have been a constant I am so grateful for. There are so many more who have contributed as a company or individuals over the years, whether it be showing up to races to cheer, buying me a meal, participating in my skeet shoots, or more... I can't thank everyone enough. I hope I've made you proud!


Several people have asked me whether or not I'll be watching the Olympics this month, and my answer is a resounding YES! Despite all the craziness with politics, Russian drug scandals and all the extraneous media hoopla, there's something so pure about the Olympics. In PyeongChang, 2920 athletes from 92 countries will compete in 215 events in 15 sports for 306 medals at the 23rd winter Olympic Games. During the Olympics, the competitors uniforms will not have their race, religion, or political view stated on the back. They will say "USA". For the next 17 days, we get to come together as a nation, to cheer for a common goal. The Olympics are meant to unite our nation and the world, and that is why I love them so much. I'm taking the longest break I've had in awhile to let my mind and body recover before I start summer training. It's been a long 7 years, and I need some time to get ready for another 4 year push to the 2022 Olympics. I'll be glued to the TV for the next 2 weeks watching every minute of Olympic coverage cheering on my teammates and friends. Katy and I will be posting our Olympic photo of the day starting today. Look for us on Instagram @vogt4nic.