Gratitude

I haven't written in awhile, but I'm back. This post finds me in Lake Placid once again starting my 7th season on the team. WHAT?! How did I get here? When did I become a "lifer"? I've been around so long my new teammates haven't even heard of people that were on the team when I started! Sorry, minor freak out. Deep breath. Ok. Moving right along.

Our team selection races have just concluded and the months of testing and competitions just to make our team are done. I have to say it's a relief. Even though I didn't place where I wanted, at least I know my path for the season. Having at least some direction for the next 5 months is nice. I'm packed up and heading off to Whistler, British Columbia, in the morning for our first set of North American Cup races. Here's a recap of my life this summer/fall.

I was home in Dallas training and working from April through June. Starting in late July, I flew to Calgary for 2 weeks of testing and national push championships at the Ice House (indoor ice start ramp). Home for 3 weeks. Flew to Lake Placid for a week of push track training and our annual combine testing. Back home for a week and a half, then back to Calgary for 10 more days of testing and doubles push champs. From Calgary, I came straight to Lake Placid and have been here for 6 weeks. In that time, we had another combine and 2 team trials races. Whew! It's been a whirlwind few months!

Huge thanks to Molly Choma for the amazing shots from team trials!
Although it was grueling physically to be ready for that many competitions, these last few months have been more taxing emotionally. Trying to remain even keeled emotionally in the face of ups and downs takes a lot of effort. I've historically been the slowest pilot for pushing and sprints, so I've finished last at all these test events. It's tough being one of the only pilots without a track background. These girls have been sprinting for years, and I'm just now learning. I'm really consistent, so that's a positive. I'm improving every year, another positive. And I'm still one of the top 5 pilots in the nation, big positive. Even so, there were lots of pep talks and prayer to not lose my enthusiasm over the last few months.

Last Olympic cycle, I was a new pilot with no shot at going to the Games. I was just happy to be there and gain experience. This time around was very different. I was (and still am) a contender. The last four years have made a big difference in my development as a pilot, and I'm consistently ranking in the top 30 female pilots in the world while only earning points on the lower racing circuits. My pushing has improved along with my driving, but we live in the greatest nation in the world that is stacked with talent. Even though I am top 30 in the world, there are 3 women on our team ranked higher than me. Two seasons ago I made my first national team as USA3, but last season I was edged out at team trials and bumped down to USA4. That also happened this year at trials, where I finished USA4 once again. It's tough when you put your heart and effort into improving and you do improve, but still fall short of your goal.

Only the top sleds from the USA women's bobsled team will go the Olympics in February, so my path to representing Team USA in PyeongChang is different now. I will be competing on the North American Cup tour again this year. Winning an NAC race earns me the same number of points as placing 13th in a World Cup race. My goal is to win as many races as possible to have the chance at moving up into the USA3 position before the Olympic team is named on January 14. If my cumulative points from 7 races is higher than the current USA3 pilot, I might earn a bid to the Olympics. The quotas for the 2 countries with 3 crews are determined by the nation’s best third pilot on the IBSF Ranking List as of January 14, 2018. (In layman's terms: Our top 2 sleds are ranked 1,2 in the world, so I'm shooting for USA3. I have to be the one of two highest ranked 3rd pilots in the world. Doesn't matter where I rank compared to other 1st or 2nd ranked sleds for each nation. It just matters that I'm one of the top two 3rd ranked pilots compared to the 3rd ranked pilots from the other nations.)


I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. Making the national team was my goal, and I fell a little short. People don't just compete in this sport for fun. The goal is always the Olympics. The past 6 years of my life have been preparing to make this team. I've invested my time, talent and money. I am dedicateded and haven't wavered in my commitment to the sport. I'm all in, and I want it. I'm very proud of the way we competed. I had huge personal best push times both days of the competition thanks to my amazing brakeman Bri and Mo, and I drove really well on the second day coming within a few tenths of my personal best downtime. I'm finally in BMW sled, and I had a fair shot at making the team. I've continued to show improvement and consistency, but it just wasn't quite enough.

The day after the national team was named, I had a media interview planned with the NBC Dallas crew that came to Lake Placid. I wasn't even sure why they still wanted to talk with me, seeing as my road to the Olympics just became bumpier and much more steep. At one point during the interview I was explaining the situation, and the disappointment must have been apparent. Brian's response to my doleful explanation was surprise. "USA4 is not bad. That's really impressive." That short response made me step back and look at my situation from a fresh perspective.


One comment from the reporter reminded me of how far I've come. Being the fourth ranked female bobsled pilot in the nation is awesome. Bobsled has brought me new friendships and taught me life lessons I could have never imagined. Bobsled has taken me across the world, experiencing new cultures and meeting new people. I am more focused and disciplined than I've ever been. I have an unwavering group of people who support my dreams and cheer me on to success. I am so grateful for every adventure and experience, and I'm proud of myself. I've shown resilience and persistence and consistency in the face of all odds. I'm a better person physically, mentally and spiritually because of the last 6 years doing this sport. So much to be grateful for!

It's so easy to get wrapped up in this bobsled world and forget that there's so much more to life. I work hard to keep perspective on what really matters. I'm surrounded by so many athletes who are completely preoccupied with their results that they lose sight of the rest of the world, and it's really easy to be sucked into the same mindset. I'm constantly trying to check myself and make sure I'm still on the right track. I do have goals, but I know my life is about so much more than me and the sport of bobsled. I want to use this gift of athleticism to please God and give Him glory, to compete with a spirit of excellence and serve others, not just achieve a result. 

One of the tools I use to keep perspective is a gratitude journal on an app called Bliss. I list at least one thing I'm grateful for and why each morning, and then I read it aloud. Gratitude improves your self-esteem because you're focusing on the positive things and not comparing yourself to other people. Gratitude makes you feel good and fills you with joy. Gratitude and appreciation strengthens relationships. Gratitude releases stress and increases your mental strength and helps you overcome trying circumstances. Gratitude is one of the top qualities of the most successful people in the world.


I'm so grateful for this opportunity to represent my nation in international competition all for the glory of God. Take a moment to refuel each day by listing the things you're grateful for. Don't just lump them together, but list them one by one aloud. Your gratitude can change the world. Focus on the positive and express that gratitude! 

"Gratitude will illuminate and reignite your passion for the important things in life!" Mike Hayes