Finish Line

I'm writing to you from the hallowed halls of the Olympic Training Center in Lake Placid, NY. I'm back at my home away from home. My last post was from Park City, Utah. It was bittersweet leaving PC, believing it was my last runs of the season. The month was amazing. I love that track. Coaches Shauna Robuck and Valerie Fleming are awesome. The people were great. Couldn't have asked for a better experience. Huge thanks to everyone who broke for me, skeleton, bobsled and newcomer alike. You were all fantastic, and I couldn't have done it without you. Teammate and fellow driver Berit Tomten took my first runs of the season during Team Trials in October, and she took what I thought was my last. I have now taken her for her first run as a brakeman from the top of a track and given her first brakeman crash. We're friends for life now.

Berit & I are ready for the final run in Park City
Catilin Carter, skeleton athlete & trainer at ZOOM, took one of my last runs of the season. I look like a giant!
Utah Olympic Park
Film Crew for the night in Curve 6
On set with Kellogg's & Noelle Pikus-Pace for her new commercial
Another beautiful night in the mountains


Track walk in Curve 8
Megan & I talking through our steers for this curve.
Just doing a little track walkin' with my awesome teammates Brittney Reinbolt & Megan Hill
Fun evening at a Utah Jazz game
 
Cut my finger and burst a blood blister, but it was totally worth it to set a new PR.
Here's what Curve 10 looks like from a drivers perspective when we come flying through.
Random video explanation: I recently saw this commercial and immediately thought bobsled. I suppose most people would never think that, but it was so obvious to me I wanted to share. Now you'll think of USA bobsled and me when this commercial comes on.



After my month in PC, I started on my long journey home. The first day I drove to the Colorado Springs area to stay with my Uncle Orville & Aunt Ida again. It was another fun evening of catching up and relaxing. I didn't share this about my trip out to Utah, but I will now. First off, if you know me at all, you know how much I love eating. Second, you need to know this back story.

The summer after my sophomore year of college, myself and 3 college friends decided to take a road trip to Colorado in early May. The first night we camped at Great Sand Dunes National Park in a summer tent, and it snowed. Long night. We drove to Colorado Springs and stayed the second night with Orville & Ida. Warm beds and hot showers were enjoyed all around. The 3rd day was spent white water rafting in wet suits. Another cold experience, but completely worth it!

 
Upon our return from a long day of fighting the rapids, Aunt Ida had a sumptuous meal prepared. We had pork chops and gravy over jasmine rice, peas, salad and rolls. A-MAZ-ING! I still remember that meal. Now, if I'm being honest, that fact that I was a Starvin' Marvin probably jaded my memory of this meal, so I recently asked one of my comrades if they remembered what we ate. Sarah immediately answered, "Oh! That jasmine rice was so good!" So, I determined it was not just me. Now that you know the back story, we'll jump back to the present.

On my way across western Kansas I thought to myself, "You know what would be amazing? If Aunt Ida made those pork chops with gravy over jasmine rice. Man, that was good!" I arrived to find out we would be dining with Phil & Joyce Neufeld. I don't often see these members of my family, so I was looking forward to supper. I sat down at the table right as Ida waltzed from the kitchen with a platter of pork chops and a bowl of gravy, followed by Orville carrying a bowl of jasmine rice. The angels started singing and a soft light fell across the table. At least that's what I remember. Haha! It was just as amazing as I remembered, maybe better. Gotta get that recipe! Back to my trip home from Utah.

My second day of driving brought me to Wichita, KS, between snow storms. The Blizzard of Oz or Snowmageddon, depending on who you talk to, dumped a total of 21 inches, setting the all-time snowfall record for any month in Wichita. I just can't get away from the snow. Since our house sits on the north end of the cul-de-sac, all the snow drifted in our driveway. After helping Mom shovel our neighbors driveway, I looked at the giant snow pile lining our driveway and decided we needed to make something. Piling up the snow is always the hardest part of building anything, so why let all that hard work go to waste? I saw a dragon in that pile of snow, and Mom helped me bring him to life.

Training my dragon


After a week at home, I headed down to Dallas for 2 weeks of real life. Went to work, church, Katy's & Zoom. Same old, some old. On my first day of work, I asked my boss how he felt about me going out for 2 more weeks of sliding before the track closes on March 31. I figured he'd say no since I'd been gone since October, but he surprised me with a yes. So, now I've been in Lake Placid for 2 weeks sliding. I haven't had a consistent brakeman the second half of my season, and this trip was no different. Big thanks to everyone who jumped in my sled, especially Shane Hook. Couldn't have done it without you. I slid from Start 3 on Wednesday, Start 2 on Thursday & Friday and Start 1 on Monday. One year and 2 days ago, I took my one and only trip off the top of this track. It was my last trip of driving school, and I made it down on all 4 runners. This time I had 2 successful trips off the top. Shane jogged us off while I sat in, and we made it down both runs. Tuesday, I sprained my ankle training in the gym. It's ridiculous that I do dangerous stuff on ice all the time and get hurt jumping in the gym. Now that my season is over, this will be my last post from the road for awhile. I'm excited to get home and sleep in my own bed.

I think it only fitting that my last post for my second season of bobsled finish with a season recap video. It's been quite an adventure and learning experience, but I had a blast!