Banff, Whistler, Calgary and more!

I'm back in beautiful Park City, Utah, for the next month. I left you all hanging with my return to the U.S. from the wilds of Canada. Well, I'll give you a overview of all I deem important. Since it's been almost 3 months, get ready for another marathon post. Sorry. I tend to be a procrastinator, so this is what you get. Everything all at once at the last minute. Well, not really the last minute, but people keep asking if I've posted anything, so it feels like last minute work to me. I want to give huge thanks to Kelsey Heckathorne for letting me steal all her pictures and keeping up with her daily blog posts on tour. It was great reference material so I could remember everything we did. I'm working on finishing up my video of the whole tour, so if you don't feel like you have the stamina to make it through this entire post, you can catch most of it there (without all the side notes and back stories of course) or just scroll down and look at all the pictures.

Banff:
Backstory: My Grandma Carolyn used to be a tour guide. I have always thought this would be one of the coolest jobs ever. You get to travel all over the place as your job. Sweet! It's right up there with my dream of being Vanna White. Well, my mom worked on the company website for a few years, and I helped by reading all the tour overviews to her as she typed them in. As a result, there are several destinations in the US and Canada I want to visit. Banff happens to be one of them, and we drove through on our way to Whistler from Calgary.

Present Day: Berit had been to Banff before and suggested we stop at the natural hot springs. Done! Bucket list item checked off.

Downtown Banff
The hot springs are piped into a pool
This is the natural hot springs water. It had a strong sulphur smell, but they treat it before piping it into the pool.
 
Berit, Myself, Kelsey & Anna


Whistler:
We were in Whistler for two weeks. We went to watch the World Cup race being held there the first week. It was great to meet up with the team, watch the best in the world compete, and recover for a week. Whistler is a fun little ski town, and we had a blast exploring. Coach Dionne was really helpful as Berit & I tried to take it all in and learn everything we could before our week of sliding the fastest track in the world.

 
 

We cheered on Team USA and had fun at the track too. It wasn't all business.

A Whistler Sliding Centre employee caught our snowball fight with epic tackle take down and tweeted it. Now we're famous.
Kels & I on the podium.
 
 
Berit & I trying to be penguins...unsuccessfully.
First ever 3 man push team.
Poor Kelsey got attacked and buried during our epic snowball fight.
Out of control!
The Whistler Sliding Centre hired a group of 4 people to run around the track and entertain the crowds. And boy did they entertain. They had the most ridiculous outfits and accents, and they ran around making fun of everyone and everything and just generally were hysterically entertaining. They would see someone wanting to take a picture, and they would stop and run in place and say “Work it, work it, work it, SEXY POSE!” and pose in some crazy stance for a picture. Initially we thought they were just “super fans” but turns out they were actually hired. Well worth the money.


Berit's friend Andrew wore the right color to become the 5th Sexy Person
Climbing fences is hard. It took them 5 minutes to "help" each other over this barrier.
 


If you remember back almost one year ago, I was in Whistler for a month as Ms. Megan Hill's brakeman before sliding in our first World Cup race. If you're new and or just don't remember, check out the pictures on my post Crazy Awesome!!! Well, because we were there to race on the world stage and wanted to represent USA well, we didn't have time for much fun. We were either eating, sleeping, working out or sliding. Not much else. It was such a bummer to watch everyone head to the famous Whistler/Blackcomb ski slopes everyday. I'm not a skier, but I've been snowboarding a few times. So with an entire week free to do as we pleased, ski instructor Berit led us bravely to the slopes. Kelsey & I had never skied before, but we were ready for the challenge. I found that I had the all or nothing approach to skiing. I was either going for it or face planting. I lost a ski a couple times and had several face fulls of snow, but it was a blast! Kels took more of the slow and steady approach, although she almost took a man out once. She ended up laying across the back of his skis, and we were all laughing so hard, we couldn't help her up. I'm sure the man thought we were all crazy, but it was so funny. Berit and I had seen her coming and were both yelling, "Pizza! Pizza!" The words "Pizza" and "french fries" are how Berit taught her 4 year old class to position their skis, and since they are probably better skiers than us, she used the same instruction. Such a fun day! By the end, I was going into the tuck position on small slopes. I felt like Bode Miller going for gold. Berit was laughing at my half tuck, but I felt awesome!

 

Other than skiing, we had a lot of free time. We explored the village...
Ate Poutine (It's a Canadian thing. French fries with brown gravy and cheese curds. Yummo!)...
Played many a game of cribbage...
Got the standard blue man picture (It has a native name, but I could never remember it)...
 Had our Thanksgiving dinner in a Mongolian restaurant...
Dyed our hair blue...
 
 

 
And bleached a star and stripes into Jay's hair.

 
Perhaps we had a little too much free time on our hands. It was a really fun week though. Lots of teammate bonding time.


Then came the entire reason for coming to Whistler, sliding. The America's Cup coaches opened up this week of paid training for America's Cup athletes to learn to drive Whistler, as it is rumored to be added to the tour next season. It was a mini driving school, but only 5 drivers from our team out of all the countries on tour took them up on the offer. Here's an account of all that we experienced during our 6 days of sliding the fastest track in the world.

When we packed up the truck and headed to Whistler, we packed the sleds and the bed of the truck with all our stuff. Berit refused to put a box of oatmeal in her sled for fear it would open and she'd be picking pieces of oatmeal out of her sled to make weight. Once we arrived in Whistler, Anna and I could not find our bottle of honey anywhere. While Berit and I were prepping our sleds, I mentioned that we should probably look in the nose to make sure we got everything out. Right after I mentioned it, she took the belly pan off her sled and gasped. There was honey bear staring up at her. Thus, her sled is now named Honey Bear. And I suppose she was justified about that box of oatmeal.


Sliding Day 1: Jake, Colin, Codie, Berit & I took 4 trips each from the new ladie's luge start, which goes into Curve 7. This start is under construction, so it was a bit tricky getting the sleds in and out. We all had a decent trips and started to learn more about each curve. Kelsey was my brakeman for the week, and Anna rode with Berit because Sineaid had gone home for Thanksgiving.

Kels & I ready to go
Getting the sled onto the track through the construction
Here we go! Lulu heading into Curve 7.
Then came dinner time, which is now on my "top 10 craziest dinners" list, no question. I don’t really have a top 10 list, but after years of hilarious family dinners where my stomach hurt more from laughing than from eating, this dinner has to be on that list. Except that this dinner had my stomach cramping from both.

Kelsey had just eaten a grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of soup when someone threw out the idea of sushi. Even after eating all that, she was in. I have never eaten real sushi before, but I knew I liked California rolls. Without much deliberation, Jay, Berit, Kelsey and I hopped in the car and away we went. When we got there, the All You Can Eat For $30 menu surfaced. It came with lots of rules though. You only had 1.5 hours to order, you have to finish every piece they bring or else you have to pay for that roll, and everyone at the table has to participate. Kels was already full, but we gave her the option to go sit at another table or stay and partake in the feeding frenzy. She opted to stay. We were having a great time, and I was trying just about every kind of sushi roll on the menu – and sampling a couple of them twice. We were all getting stuffed towards the end, but wanted to get our money's worth out of this deal. That's when Berit decided that since we were in British Columbia, we couldn’t end the evening without trying the BC roll.

It could have also been called the “Everything roll”. It had BBQ’d salmon skin, sprouts, asparagus, avocado, etc… (If you're not impressed by my adventurous eating yet, you don't know how picky of an eater I was as a kid.) It was the largest, most loosely wrapped roll of the night, and there were 5 pieces. Kels popped the first one in her mouth – definitely not anyone's favorite, but tolerable. Kelsey is mid-chew (this thing was so big that you had to swallow like 5 times) when Berit tries to pick up a piece, and it starts to fall apart. She tosses her chop sticks to the side, grabs the piece of sushi bare-handed, dunks it in the soy sauce and shoves the whole thing into her mouth. By this time we’re all laughing, and Kels is trying not to choke on the mouthful of sushi she's still working on. Then Berit starts to gag. She absolutely hates the piece of sushi – but she can’t spit it out because we have to finish everything we’ve ordered. She continues to gag and make horrible faces with her cheeks stuffed full of sushi and drinking water to try to get it down. The rest of us were laughing so hard by this point … and then she chokes and rice comes out her nose. We were laughing soooo hard we were crying. Kelsey's STILL trying not to choke while laughing and almost has her piece down. The guy at the table behind us is laughing at Berit as well, and then she finally managed to wash it all down – but not before making horrible awful faces and almost vomiting everywhere.

And then – we still had three pieces of this BC roll left. I took the next piece. I was very proud of myself at this point for eating everything they brought to the table, and everyone agreed I definitely didn’t seem like a sushi newbie! As I stuff the whole roll in my mouth and start to chew, Berit decides it is the perfect time to expound all the horrible things about the BC roll. "Ooohhhh! The crispy BBQ'd salmon skin... Ewww!...And the cavier...Yuck!.." I was giving her the death stare to try and make her shut up about what I was eating, but she was in too much misery to notice. She leaned against the wall with her scarf wrapped around her head for the rest of the time. Poor Jay ate his allotted BC piece and then took one for the team and ate the extra one. He had to order some dumplings, so we didn't leave with that taste in our mouths. And that was the end of all you can eat sushi night. We were all sooooo full to the point of misery that the amount of laughter that happened was downright painful, but it was one of the most entertaining nights of the entire trip. 

Day 2: We had a long wait for the trucks before practice, so another snowball fight broke out. I feel like it's inevitable in a winter sport. It morphed into the boys standing in a row seeing if they wouldn't flinch when a snowball was rocketed at them. Funny!

Colin hiding for a surprise attack
 
"Hold my hand. I'm scared!"

We took 2 more runs from ladie's luge start, then everyone headed up to lower men's luge start which goes into Curve 3. There was a definite speed increase as we worked our way up the track. Megan & I spent almost a week at this start last season, but it was very different as a driver this year. Everyone did really well, and it was a successful day for all.


Day 3: Kels and I had 4 successful runs from lower men's luge start. Nothing else too exciting happened.

Run 1
 
Run 2
 

Day 4: Another greatly successful day at the track! We took four more runs from the lower men’s luge start, and they were my four best runs to date. They were all great, but the first one was flat out amazing! Smoothest ride I've had on the track as a driver. I was so excited to end on such a good note before heading up to the top the next day.

Tucking our sleds in for the night. We stored them in shipping containers at the top of the track for the week.

Day 5: After the previous day's four amazing runs, Kels and I were excited and ready to take our first runs from the top. The game plan was for Craig and Ree to walk everyone's sled off the top. They didn't want us to have to worry about loading. Jake went first, and Colin was right behind him. Then it was our turn. (We’ve had the same order all week.)

Here's the view from the start looking into Curve 1.
We were doing really well, and the run was going quite smoothly until we got to curve 12. I thought I did the same steers as I had been all week, but we were waaay late into 13 and it was game over. It was Kelsey's first crash, and she told me her first clue that we were crashed was how loud the sled suddenly got. Then as we went through Curve 14, the trees were upside down and the ice was whizzing right by her face. The track workers stopped our sled in the braking stretch and let us climb out. The medic made sure we were ok, the track workers loaded our sled up for us, and we went back to the top to assess the damage and get ready for our next run. I had been having such a great week until that run. It's kind of a superstition among bobsledders that if the practice the day before is great, the next day could be horrible. I joked with one of the coaches that I should have bombed my last run from Men's Luge start to get it all out of my system. Pat laughed and told me that based on our runs until then, I was the least of their worries out of the group. Oops!

When we got to the top and assessed damage the only real complaint was a little soreness to my right arm (At least that's what I told everyone. I was too scared to look because I knew it was already bruising), and we were both soaked from sitting on wet ice at the bottom of the track. The right shoulder of the practice suit Kelsey was wearing had a small hole burned in it, but I reassured her that it was ok – we could just buy an American flag patch to cover it up. She was wearing lacrosse shoulder pads, so she was alright. Damage assessed – we were ready to rock and roll for round two!!

Track facts: The low point on this track is in curve 15, which is where the speed trap is located that marks each sled’s highest speed. There are also timing interval locations as you go down the track – checkpoints of sorts. How well the driver guides the sled through each curve plays a large factor in the amount of speed accumulated (or lost) as they move down the track. Curve 12 & 13 were named 50/50 during the 2010 Olympics because so many people were crashing through this curve combination. Well, we became another number for the 50% fail statistics out of Curve 13, and we came through the speed trap (upside down) at about 77 miles an hour! This track is crazy fast!


Another track fact: The track drops 2 stories in the first 3 curves, and Curve 2 has the maximum down slope on the track at 20%. Our second run from the top, I nailed curves 1, 2 and 3 more or less perfectly, so we had a crazy amount of speed going into curve 4. I missed the first pressure in Curve 4, which shot us up to the ceiling, causing us to barrel roll off the curve. It's the same distance to the bottom from Curve 4 on your runners or your head, but it sure feels longer. I was yelling at Kels to kick out, but she couldn't hear me. After looking at the interval time sheet, we figured out that because of our speed in the first curves we were still going faster (on our heads) than the other women’s sled through curve 7 – where they finally overcame us speed wise. We weren’t high enough on the curve in 15 to trigger the speed trap, but we were definitely moving. 

When we got to the bottom and finally came to a stop, Kels crawled out of the sled and the medic informed her that the right half of her face (the one near the ice) was bright red. I proceeded to pull myself out of the nose of the sled and am laying on my back in the track. Laying on the ice, I flicked my fogged up visor open and looked up to see Kelsey standing next to the medic with her half red face. I remember all the horrible scenarios ran through my head at once. "Great! I've turned my brakeman into Two-Face from Batman...she's scared forever...plastic surgery...what have I done?!?" As it turns out, it was just red from all the ice shavings and freezing water hitting her on the way down since she doesn't have a visor. It went away in a few minutes. As all these things are running through my head, she looks at me while a gaping hole in the shoulder of the sliding suit and says, "We're going to need a really big American flag patch." Haha! I figured she was alright if she was more worried about the suit than her face. After the second unsuccessful run, I called it a day. That bruise on my arm was already bright blue and had a giant lump underneath. Kels had some good bruises too and a headache. We immediately went to the old standby: ICE! ICE! ICE!

Good thing I had lots of snow around to start icing those bruises right away.
Still smiling
Day 6: On our last day, we made it from the top both runs!!! What a great day! As calm, cool and collected as we were both trying to be before the first run, we both admitted to each other later that our hearts were absolutely racing as we got walked off the of the top. Kels & I always say a prayer as we take off, but Kels told me she didn't stop until we got to the braking stretch – at which point the praying turned into cheering from us both – and the track crew! As we went by each of them on the way up the braking stretch they were all clapping and cheering, and Snowy (one of the workers) even shouted “Way to go Nicole!” I think they were all quite glad to not have to A) patch the track where we crashed, B) pick us up out of the track off of our heads and C) get our sled off of the track for us. A good day for everyone. Due to weather, the track wasn’t quite as fast as the day before, which probably helped. Even though we were upright the entirety of the trip down, we still only went 125.33 km/hr. That translates to approximately 78 miles per hour. So we basically went just as fast on our heads the previous day as we went upright on the last day. Crazy, huh?

Day 2 from the top. Praying hard!
Craig walking us off for another successful run. Great to end our week on 2 good runs.
Looking down the braking stretch toward Curve 16 from the sled takeout point
Still loving bobsled and Whistler at the end of the week.
To celebrate the successful week, we had maple ice cream with candied bacon. Heavenly!

This map shows the curve numbers as well as the speed intervals – they are shown by the dashed lines drawn across the track.  (And you can see how far we slid upside down! – crash #1 was in curve 13 and crash #2 was in curve 4.)  The uppermost black box is the main bobsled start house – where went from the last 2 days. The lower men's luge start where we slid from Day 3 & 4 (into curve three) is where the two little black lines enter the track just below the second start house.  The marker on the picture say ‘women’s and double luge start area’.  The first place we started (into curve seven) is two switch backs below that area and there is a blue dotted line (the road) from the left coming directly to it, and you can see the little black line entering the track that indicates a start area.


Kels & I are some tough girls. At least that's what people keep telling us. And by the looks of these bruises, I have to believe they're right. I'm pretty sure this was the worst bruise I've ever had. I don't recommend crashing to the same side repeatedly in a bobsled. It's a painful experience.



Jay had some Spider Tech tape I tried out. We don't have any trainers on tour with us, so I was willing to try anything. It looked really cool at least.
I also got my first fiberglass burn above my knee. I don't recommend those either.

The boys decided to split the drive back to Calgary up into 2 days. They packed up and left straight from the track after our last day of sliding. About 9pm that night, I get a call from Dak and a text from Ree. It appears that Dak left his passport in their Whistler condo, and they need our help to retrieve it. Berit and I pull on our boots and head out the door to save the day. Upon our arrival, the cleaning crew hands us all sorts of treasures. A passport, some medals and a pair of shoes. Good thing we're around to swoop in and save the day when called upon. It's a burden we must bear. Next morning we were on the road again to Calgary. Back through the snowy mountain passes with a trailer, but we made it.



Calgary:
Another busy race week in Calgary. This one lived up Calgary's disgustingly cold weather standards. Between ice house practice, official training runs, sled work, physiotherapy, contrast tubs, hauling sleds, etc… it was one thing after another. We have spent a lot of quality time at the track, as well as a few not so fun moments. Here are a few random pictures we took during the week to give you an idea.

We had 1 hour in the ice house. Lots of reps on ice was really helpful, especially for all our new brakeman.
US girls taking over the ice house
You can see the ice track just like the start on the track to the right.
Dak & Sineaid goofing off and trying to stay warm during practice

Berit & Sineaid ready to take off!
Future bobsledder
Anna & I
Berit & I just needed a little rest break before heading to the car.
The US guys chilling in the start house before practice
Doing my mind runs. Thanks for this beauty of a picture Kels...
Adrian rockin the camo



Dallas & Aaron (aka The Beautiful People, Abercrombie & Fitch...) doing their model poses
Hot & cold tub contrast after practice. Getting ready for race day!
A bunch of our boys piled in the truck to move sleds
It was a crazy week of racing. To understand my week of driving woes, you'll need a little bobsled background. Tracks are built to be used in all weather conditions, so most of the curves are built with a roof and shades that can be pulled down to keep snow out. All week, we trained in the evenings, and all the shades were up. As a driver, we can look ahead to the exit if the curve is really long. Since this was only my second week on the track, I was definitely still learning something new every trip. On my second day of practice, the notorious Curve 8 got me. We crashed, and Kelsey and I had a very long ride to the bottom, but I learned something new from my mistakes. I didn't crash there again.

We had a triple race weekend, which means we had a race Friday morning and evening and Saturday evening. When the sun is shining, they typically do not raise the shades, so they don't have melting issues. The unfortunate problem we faced racing Friday morning was that I had never slid the track with the shades down. I had no idea how different it would be, but the change was drastic. Curve 7 and I didn't have a great interaction on my second run, and I crashed with Kelsey again. I felt so bad crashing her 4 times in a week. I know how awful it is crashing that many times in a week as a brakeman. It's awful! Trust me. Kels got sucked out of the sled, so I was disqualified. A photographer was standing in the straight between Curve 8 & 9 and caught the whole thing. We're were both alright, just added a few more bruises to our existing ones.

 
 
 
 

If you want to see what it was like for Kels in real time, here's a video of Codie Bascue's 4-man crew crashing in Curve 7. The shoe that holds the back, right runner broke during their run. The brakeman had a GoPro mounted on his chest and caught the whole thing. No one was seriously injured. If you ever catch yourself worrying about me while I'm sliding, I wouldn't advise you to watch this.



All 4 crashes were to the right, and my body was tired of getting beat up. I laid in a snow bank between races, had a long talk with God, ate a little, cried a little to vent my frustration, got some advice from experienced pilots and coaches and geared up to get after for another race. Anna and I came in 7th, but it was my fastest runs of the week up to that point. No complaints. Saturday was a solid race day. Kelsey and I had our two fastest pushes and runs of the week and we placed 7th again. We were both very happy to end the week on such a positive note!

Berit & Maureen with the fastest pushes of the day
Codie Bascue & his 4-man crew placed top 3 all 3 races
Jake Peterson and crew blasting it off the start
 

Codie & Jake's crews on the medal stand
All the US medalists for both Friday races.
Berit & Sineaid
 One thing this tour has again taught me, bobsled isn't for the wimpy! We're some tough girls!


It was a great feeling to be back in the USA after four weeks in Canada.  We opted to divide the drive into two days instead of one super, horrid, long trip, so we stopped in Butte for the night. Jay drove separately – and left after us – but he drove through almost non-stop. So when he got to Butte (after we were all asleep), he left us a lovely surprise for the morning and then continued on his way. Here's a few pictures of our truck decorated with empty energy drink bottles, paper towels, TP and beautiful artwork.

Don't drive angry
'Merica!


We made it safely back to Park City, where I spent the week sliding. Then it was home for a few weeks of Christmas break and some much needed R&R.

Lake Placid, NY:
The second and third week of January was spent in Lake Placid. Berit, Megan, Katelyn, Britt, and I along with all our brakeman had housing at the OTC. It was great to be back, and we made lots of new friends. There were 4 Canadians living in town and learning how to drive as well. Nick, Julia, Frank and Chris made the Start 3 house all the more fun. All of us were going from Start 3 for most of the 2 weeks.

I wanted to write this post while I was there, but my Lake Placid experience was pretty terrible. In fact, that was my 2 worst weeks of sliding ever. I crashed almost everyday, and I wasn't a huge fan of bobsled at the time. I was afraid if I wrote anything, it would be pretty ugly, so I refrained until I had a more positive feeling about bobsled again. It was a combination of a new sled that was pretty crappy compared to the sled I'd been in all season and being in Lake Placid. Placid is not like any other track in North America. It notorious for being very, very difficult because there is no time between curves to regroup. Everything is flying at you all the time. I learned something from every crash, but I was really struggling to find my rhythm.

On my first non-crash day, I had a pretty crazy new experience. Anna took 2 runs with me, but I took my new friend Cassidy Manly with me on the third run. She was brand new to bobsled and was there to be Ida's brakeman. Since she was free and I had crashed Anna so much already, I took Cassidy. We had a great run and made it across the finish line. That's when the fun started. The sled I was renting had just been refurbished, and I hadn't crossed the finish line upright very many times yet. So when I was yelling at Cass to brake and nothing happened, I turned around to see her frantically pulling the brakes. The only problem was they weren't touching the ice. In hindsight, we found that the brake lever was a little short but the main issue was that all the sleds for the last few days had dug out the ice in the belly of the braking stretch. This combination of problems led to our harrowing experience. 

Curves 19 and 20 in Lake Placid are uphill, along with the braking stretch. So, there I was standing up in the sled ready to hop out when we started going backwards. Cass looked at me, I told to her to sit tight and I sat back down for our backwards trip down the track. Curve 18 is were lots of sleds flip, and we were moving at a pretty fast clip backwards through 19. I was thinking, "I finally made it down upright and this happens. It's going to be really terrible if we flip going backwards! Do the opposite of whatever you normally do through 18!" The entrance of Curve 19 is the take-out point for all the sleds that flip in 18. All the track workers were standing there yelling at us to pull the brakes as we went by backwards. As if we hadn't already tried that! We made it through 18 and halfway up 17. Then we started going forwards again. As we sped by the track workers, they're still yelling at us to brake. I was reassuring Cass that this wasn't her fault and shaking my head at the everyone yelling at us. We made it up into 19 and back we came. This time, I flipped my visor up and yelled back, "They aren't working!" on our backwards descent, as if it should take them that long to figure it out. We went through 18 backwards again, forward into 19, and back into 18 before they stopped us. What a crazy day! After that, my brakes got fixed. Cass now has a crazy story not many bobsledders can tell after only 2 weeks as a brakeman.

With so many crashes in a small sled, my knees took a real beating. They were so swollen by the end of the 2 weeks that I could barely walk. Not good. Thank goodness I spent the next week at home recovering. Mom helped me massage most of the fluid out, and I had my first acupuncture experience. It really helped with the lingering pain, and now I'm practically as good as new.

Park City:
And here I am in Park City training. I can't tell you how good it felt to get those first 3 trips under my belt last week and fall in love with bobsled again! It was so great to be back in Lulu (my sled) and be back on a smooth, flowing track. Ahhhh...so, so nice to be back and have confidence that I can drive a sled down the track upright. That wraps up all the my bobsled experiences for the last few months. You know about all there is to know. If you made it this far, I congratulate you. You're a real trooper! Gold star for you! No promises that I'll keep up to date, but I'll try not to let things slide this far next time.