Driving School



Well, my crash count has climbed significantly since the start of driving school. I am now up to 6 as a brakeman and 5 as a driver this year. That first week was brutal from Start 4. I just couldn't get Curve 18 down. We rolled every other day, but now I've got it down (I think). I haven't crashed there since. Last Monday we moved up to Start 3. I will admit that it was scary. My only run from Start 3 before Christmas was a crash out of Curve 10. I was super nervous, and I'm glad the boys are in school with me. They are always really chill about sliding, so I don't get as nervous. They definitely keep me calm with their ridiculous banter in the start house. Check out these hobos. Jeremy was sleeping until 15 minutes before his run, and Adam was playing Words with Friends. Chill.


That first run was great. I started sharing Jeremy's sled "Night Rider". He rolled it that first day in Curve 12. Part of the duct tape name tag ripped off, so it became "light Rider". I made it down and my heart was racing. I couldn't stop smiling. Adrenaline junkie! Tuesday was a whole different story. Add curve 7 to my list of curves I've crashed in here at Lake Placid. I brought the sled out of the curve a bit too early and the pressure sucked me back up into the curve and rolled us. Sorry Jeremy! I've crashed everyone in school now, but they are nice enough to keep getting back in the sled with me. I ripped the "r" off the name tag, so now we are rockin down the track in "Light Ride". That's how we roll. It was really warm that day, and I had water splashing in my face as we careened down the track on our left side. Jeremy kicked out in the flat straightaway, and I pulled myself out once the sled came to a stop. We were both alright, but very wet. It's the same distance to the bottom when you crash, but it sure seems much longer when you're on your side. I got this lovely bruise. Hopefully it makes my guns look bigger. Haha! I look like I came from the battered women’s shelter with all these bruises and cuts, but I’m having a great time. Driving is definitely more stressful, but at least I know what’s coming.  No other crashes from Start 3 last week.

This week kicked off the beginning of FIBT driving school. A bunch of internationals are here. Canada, Croatia, Japan, Korea, Argentina, New Zealand and the Netherlands are here for driving school. It's always fun to have friendly faces come back into town. I've met several of these people over the course of the season and haven't seen most of them since the last America's Cup in November. We've been having a great time learning to drive together. We've been at Start 3 again this week, and I may get to move up to the top tomorrow. We shall see. Adam moved up for the first time today. His first trip was crazy, but he made it. The second trip he rolled it in Curve 3. This was his first crash as a driver. Welcome to the club buddy! Now you're a real driver. Start 1 is no joke, that's for sure.

It has been ridiculously warm here this week. Record highs by 10 degrees the last three days. Feels like spring break at the OTC. It's amazing what a little sun can do for you when you've entombed in winter for so many months. We're all outside for hours just because we can.


A race of sparkling white vampires playing ultimate frisbee on the OTC field. So entertaining!
Spring break in Lake Placid. Warm weather, grilling out & country music. Doesn't get any better than this!
Chilling on the patio
I'm going to be sad when it cools off again next week, but it will definitely be better for sliding. The track is very soft and frosty currently. Not good for sliding. We actually had to cancel sliding yesterday because the track wouldn't have been able to take the abuse. Since sliding was cancelled, a group of us headed to the push track. I took my first hits from the drivers bar. VERY DIFFERENT! I missed the bar with my left hand on the first try. I was taking hits with Ida, and we won the impromptu competition with a 2.21 push. I don't know how because I didn't know if I was going to make it into the sled! I freaked out, stutter stepped and jumped in the sled. Ida screamed cause she thought I was toast, but I made it in. Smashed my left knee on the cowling, but I made it in! It will definitely take lots more practice to feel comfortable at the push track, let alone running on the ice and having to get in and drive. So crazy! 
That's the news from Lake Placid. 2 more days of driving school and then official training starts on Monday. We race next weekend in the last America's Cup. My family is all coming to watch me slide for the first time. So excited to have them see bobsledding up close and personal. They may think I'm even crazier when the first sled flies by them, but it will be a blast to show them what I've been doing for the last 6 months of my life. So, until then, I bid you adieu.